At West Haddon Primary School children are provided with opportunities to write in many different contexts, for different purposes and audiences, across our school curriculum. Children are taught to form their letters correctly, leading to a fluent and legible style, and become increasingly aware of the conventions of writing, including grammar, punctuation and spelling.
The children will:
- experience a wide range of writing activities to include both chronological and non chronological writing
- relate writing to their own experiences and environment
- discuss their writing frequently, talking about the various types and purposes of writing
- be aware of the need to write legibly and to use layout and space effectively to aid the reader
- experience grammatical vocabulary such as: sentence, verb etc. in line with the National Curriculum, through specifically designed activities
- read examples of good writing in various forms and recognise the criteria for such writing
- have experience of and become accustomed to drafting and redrafting their work
- write in response to a wide range of stimuli
- become increasingly aware of the role of dictionaries and thesauruses
- become increasingly aware of spelling rules
In Nursery we provide the children with lots of opportunities to develop their early writing skills using a variety of methods such as mark making in the sand, paint as well as using different equipment from chalks, paint brushes to pens and pencils. Every day the children participate in a programme called ‘Squiggle while you Wiggle’ to develop their core strength, gross and fine motor control.
In Reception children continue to build upon their early writing skills through opportunities to mark make building up to writing recognisable letters through to writing simple sentences.
Our writing process KS1 to KS2
We teach cursive handwriting, where letters join together. Practicing letter formation at home benefits children. The resource website www.letterjoin.co.uk and www.communication4all.co.uk have useful presentations and resources that show how to form the letters correctly.